Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Midnight Revelation

I've been wondering lately and not-so-lately why I cannot seem to enjoy anything. I can be good at things--yes, but I cannot seem to enjoy anything worthwhile. It's always been separate from my confusion as to why I seem to be horrible at relationships. And the answer, I think, is at least partially found in Kantianism. I treat everything, humans and hobbies alike as a means to an end--every holiday, every worthwhile book, every friend serves as a means to an end. But nothing can be enjoyed if it is simply a means. I'm sorry, that's not quite right. Yes, things can be enjoyed as a means to an end--but they will always be unsatisfactory. Take a book for example: I would never enjoy Chronicles of Narnia if I were told that it is a spectacular scholarly book that I MUST enjoy if I ever want to be considered a literature student. I read Narnia because it soothes me and yet it is intellectually enlightening at the same time. It brings me joy -- and more joy than pure entertainment.

So, Kant said we cannot treat PEOPLE as a means to an end because they are rational beings. But I say we cannot treat anything as a means to an end--yes, we can and should do things as stepping stones to what we really want but our ultimate goal cannot be to please people or to feed our pride or loneliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment