Friday, April 7, 2017

I Discovered Chai Today

Chai Tea.

If you translate that word for word, it becomes "tea tea". But in Western settings, when people say "chai tea" they refer to "masala tea". Masala tea, originating in India, is now widely popularized as one of those hip drinks you drink in a cafe in San Francisco while contemplating your next "hella cool" startup idea with your open-minded friends dressed in leather jackets.

So, back to why I am writing this article. Being an Indian by ethnicity, masala tea is not an uncommon drink to me. But I've never liked it. Tea was fine enough; why add some weird spice that belongs in dosa to tea? That is a stance I took ever since I first drank masala tea at some family gathering or another.

And then a strange thing happened today.

I went to one of those hip, tech cafe places that sprout like mushrooms in San Francisco. The place was called "Chai Bar." And then I ordered chai tea. I knew it was masala tea but I have a weird tendency to order drinks I know I am not going to like. But, boy, am I glad I did it today.

I expected to tolerate  drink, get some productive work done and then head back to the residence hall.  But instead, when I took a sip, I found myself liking this "chai tea." If you do not get why I am writing this story yet, then let me spell it out for you. I am an Indian who never liked masala tea in its true form. Then I come to the US and I like chai?

The world is truly a strange place.

I have a newfound respect for evolved, Americanized, fusion food.

No comments:

Post a Comment