Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Our Journey

I used to smile in your presence, dance at your feet.
I used to make some pitchy melodies
I used to raise those tiny hands up high
I used to hope, to long for paradise

Then I saw you closer
the crinkles in your eyes
the deathly things you'd speak and sigh
I kept silent, a pawed creature
I'd smile strained smiles
I was a captive in what seemed to be
your kingdom of lies

of restraint, of despair
of people saying this was true
of people believing or dying
no paradise

You sent me away
to a happier place
where I could choose not to look into your eyes
where I came to terms with who I was
an undernourished creature who needed love
I got swept in by the tide
washed up out of the system's disguise

Now today I realize
That I don't know who you are
I've sung songs and written poems
seen the creases on your face
seen your white wings laced with steel
I've seen your strength and your might
But I don't know
I just don't know
Help me come to terms with my life.

I hear voices and sing songs
I paint pictures of you
But I can never truly
only partly
peripherally
look into your eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment